Friday 10 January 2014

Post 23-A poem of our journey January 2014

 Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas with lots of celebrations.

I've had a bit of a reflective day today and knowing that Charlies treatment is nearing the end,I wanted to write a poem which encompassed some of the journey of the past 3 years.
I hope you enjoy reading it.You'll realised I'm no poet but the sentiment is there.



                                                  The Big 'C' and our little 'C'

                                                           We chose a life of sun and fun and what did we find?
                                                           Our little monkey Charlie had other things in mind.

We moved from England to Australia only 3 weeks before.
A country in which I had never stepped ashore.

The virus that we thought he had, turned out to be much worse,
This adventure we hoped to have, soon felt like it was cursed.


The Cancer diagnosis was a bolt from out the blue,
If only we had known a month before then we'd never flew!

The port was soon inserted and the treatment it did start,
Paul and me just sat and cried,it really broke our heart.

Our little boy was soon to open our eyes to a new world,
Of Dr's,nurses and the kindness which unfurled.

I was humbled and too proud at times to take on any support,
But soon realised it was crazy to not accept the meals they brought.

With all we knew ten thousand miles away, I started up a blog,
It helped me on those days I found to be a really hard slog.

Thomas was a superstar throughout this bumpy ride,
It can't be easy to see how much his mummy cried and cried.
The worry,stress and upset that he has endured,
Mustn't go noticed for that I have ensured.



School became the backbone to our new and obscure life,
To there we would turn to if we felt we were in strife.
The friends we made along the way were there through thick and thin,
I cant find the words to thank them,just where would I begin?

The terminology we now know to what the Dr's call,
The chemo,robot,roids and more, oh, who wants to know them all?!
Captain chemo became our friend to who would admit to this?
The surreal life we stepped into really took the pi**!

It's been a hellish 3 years of that I can admit,
We are getting through it with determination and grit.

Charlie is the bravest child I have ever known,

The nurses all love him and he keeps us in the “zone”.
He has his chemo every day and needles every week,
If that was me I know that I really would freak!

They say that Cancer consumes your life and this I must agree,
Though we have a lot of fun and laughs to that I make a certainty.

You might be forgiven for thinking that we knew
That moving Down Under our life would be flipped up too.


We're near the end of this nightmare that of which we're hopeful,
The day will come again when we are not so woeful.

The futures bright and rosy, of this I only hope,
A parent staying positive is the only way to cope.

It's still a long long journey but the worst is almost done,

For beyond that final dose of chemo can truly only be fun.



By Lisa Barratt

No comments:

Post a Comment